Sunday, May 1, 2011

"The Korean Liberator" Cover - 20 May 1946


Today's post is of a cover I recently purchased that commemorates the first trip of "The Korean Liberator", a Korean streamliner, that traveled from Seoul to Busan on 20 May 1946. This is a very interesting cover in my opinion and coincidentally the first cover to be added to my growing Korea collection. Tied to the cover are all six of the "Liberation from Japanese Rule" commemoratives, which is fitting for the first trip of "The Korean Liberator" streamliner. The cover was addressed to a Mr. & Mrs. John Knodle in Syracuse, NY by a Major H. C. Watkins who presumably worked in the Department of Finance for the U.S. Army Military Government in Korea (USAMGIK).

I tried to find additional information on "The Korean Liberator"; however, the information out there on the internet is rather sparse. I did turn up a couple similar covers for sale in the UK and a couple Korean websites that made brief mention of the streamliner, but I didn't find anything all that enlightening. Does anyone out there have additional background on this streamliner and the first trip on 20 May 1946?

I really like this cover and if I can find any other "first trip" covers for this streamliner I will try and snatch them up. Perhaps someone out there has one in their collection they would be willing to part with? If so, please send me an email!

Have a great evening! Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Could you please advise what this would be worth today? I have just inherited these - have no way to care for them --- and want to sell these... Today --- only there is a show for stamp collectors near here - and I can't find any other info on them. I have the whole series my great grandfather was sent these by my grandfather who sent over at least 50 letters, with tons of stampes (overpayment - but wanting them sent - and a couple of sheets - they are in fair to good --- some perfect -- condition - there are some that were taken out and sold of a full sheet - because the Japanese burned the stamps or the Koreans burned the stamps - I am not sure which way - my granfather's letter doesn't specify - just that they were "JAP" stamps - not many left - bought them - for his dad a philatec....

    So - any ideas - I'm on the road after monday for months - and no place to save these... and the money would be great -- but no concept of price - so don't want to walk in stupid.

    meki at ydek dot us is my email... if you have a moment --- I have all of these - and some other strange ones.

    ReplyDelete