Monday, January 17, 2011

15th Anniversary of Girl Scouts (1961)


Today's featured stamp issue for South Korea commemorates the 15th Anniversary of the Korean girl scouts. The design depicts a girl scout saluting in uniform and the girl scout logo in the top right with the motto beneath, which means "prepared" in English. I added the souvenir sheet to my collection this past fall and the stamp I acquired last month. I really like the design of this issue and the color combination helps make it an attractive stamp in my opinion. Here are the specifics:

  • Date of Issue: 10 May 1961
  • Scott Catalogue #: 325
  • Korea postage Stamp Catalogue (KPC) #: C148
  • Quantity Produced: 50,000 souvenir sheets and 500,000 stamps

The Girl Scouts of Korea were founded in 1946 and are headquartered, not surprisingly, in Seoul. Depicted below is a "line and block" chart of the current organizational structure of the Girl scouts of Korea:

I took a look online and found the website for the Girl Scouts of Korea. The website is well laid out and is rich in information about the organization. I do not know much about the Girl Scouts, but one thing I found interesting on the website (Korean Version) is the pictures of boys wearing Girl Scout uniforms alongside the girls. This is certainly a case of ignorance on my part, as I would not have guessed boys could serve in the organization. I've included the english version of the website here: http://www.girlscout.or.kr/eng_version/eng_main.html

For those who have daughters serving in the Girl Scouts of the U.S. there is a hyperlink off the english version of the Girl Scouts of Korea website that features contact information for the different branches of the Girl Scouts of Korea....a fun project might be to contact these Girl Scout Provincial Councils and establish a pen pal relationship between troops in the U.S. and in South Korea. 

Logo of the Girl Scouts of Korea
This was a fun issue to learn about. I have a daughter who is not quite of age to get involved in the girl scouts, but who knows, maybe once a bit older I'll get her plugged in and will be the one sending emails to her sister troops in South Korea....

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment