Monday, December 27, 2010

36th Anniversary of Liberation


Today's featured stamp was issued on 15 August 1981 to mark the 36th anniversary of the liberation from the 36 years of Japanese occupation. I added this stamp to my collection last month and upon studying the design a little more closely I'm kind of fond of this issue. In the grid-like background in red is "8-15" representing the day Korea gained independence from Japanese occupation and in yellow is "36" symbolizing the 36th Anniversary of independence from what was 36 years of occupation. Some of the details surrounding this issue include:

  • Date of Issue: 15 August 1981
  • Scott Catalogue #: 1253
  • Korea Postage stamp Catalogue (KPC)#: C896
  • Quantity Produced: 4,000,000

In my research about this stamp issue I wasn't able to find many specifics about how this particular "Liberation Day" (15 Aug 1981) was celebrated; however, this holiday is typically marked with numerous events such as festivals, concerts, a presidential speech, the ringing of the "Boshingak Bell", flag waving, and other activities. The Korea Stamp Society website provides a fantastic description of this stamp issue at: http://www.pennfamily.org/KSS-USA/810815-1224.html

Depicted below are some pictures from past celebrations.





Ringing of the "Boshingak Bell"


If in South Korea and interested in learning more about Korea's liberation from the Japanese there is an "Independence Hall of Korea" that has a bunch of exhibits and statues dedicated to the liberation from Japanese occupation. Here's a link to the english website: http://www.i815.or.kr/html/en/introduction/introduction_01.html


Monument at the "Independence Hall of Korea"


Next time I find myself in Korea I might have to make a special trip to check out the independence hall. I asked my wife if she has ever visited the place and she has not, so maybe I'll have to take the whole family. Good stuff.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment